situated in the valley of the Lasva River and bordered by Vlasic Mountain
to the north and Mount Vilenica to the south. The early Slav
settlers gave little evidence of their presence until 500 years after
their arrival to the area around Travnik.
The valley reappeared in 1244,
in terms of primary historical records, when the Hungarian King Bela IV
gave one of his notables a piece of land in Lasva. By that time, the area
was a feudal estate of the Bosnian state.
Although remains from these
centuries do not show the wealth the valley had known in Roman times, the
era did have its share of castles and mansions. The Travnik Fortress was
the most impressive fortress at the time, and still stands out as the best
preserved of them all. This era gave Travnik its name.
era renewed the glory of Travnik. It was the principal city and military
centre of the Ottoman Empire. It was from here that the Ottomans planed
their invasions further towards the southwest. They brought mosques,
religious schools, roads and water systems. They fortified the medieval
fortress and built a mini-city within its high stone walls. For over 150
years, the vizier – the Ottoman Sultan's representative in Bosnia - had
his headquarters in this town, attracting both consulates and trade.
Travelers visiting Travnik in this era were impressed by the town and
called it the European Istanbul and the most oriental town in Bosnia. Ivo
Andriæ's brilliant 'Travnik Chornicle' gives you a feel of this