southernmost city in Bosnia and Herzegovina is only 28km
from the famous city of Dubrovnik. Trebinje ranks with
Mostar and Stolac in terms of beauty but fortunately escaped
the fates of these two towns and was not heavily damaged
during the war, leaving its old town intact.
The Old Town of Trebinje was established in the 18th
century and soon developed into a trading & crafts centre
There is barely a town in Herzegovina that was not erected alongside a freshwater river. Trebinje is no exception: its old town lines the banks of the Trebisnjica River that flows through the heart of the city.
The river and the city have always been known for the enormous old mills treading the Trebisnjica. Although they are not fully functional today, they remain a symbol of Herzegovina's not-so-distant past when everything was directly connected to the power of nature. In Trebinje,
that power of nature was bigger before the river had been curtailed by the Grancarevo dam, some 15 km north-east from Trebinje. This dam was bound to swallow
the Arslanagic Bridge. To save this beautiful example of Ottoman stone bridge building, it was taken, stone by stone, from a village seven kilometres up the river, and rebuilt in downtown Trebinje.
Klobuk is the large fortress in Trebinje. It is assumed to date from the
9th century and is believed that the Slovenian princes of Krajina – Pavlimir and Tesimir were buried here.
Since the 12th century it controlled the Nemanjic region until, in 1377, Klobuk became part of the expanded Bosnian state.