museum in the country, established in 1884, is at the Humac
Franciscan Monastery (built in 1869) just outside the town
of Ljubuški. The Humac Museum hosts
one of the finest collections of ancient relics, all found
in the vicinity of the monastery.
The oldest script ever found in the territory of Bosnia and
Herzegovina, the Humacka ploca, is exhibited here. This
stone-carved slate written in Glagolithic is said to date
back to the 10th century. The museum has a significant
collection of relics from the Roman settlements including
jewellery, weapons, helmets and hand carved tombstones. Many
of the excavated items come from the ruins of a Roman
military camp, Bigeste, near the monastery.
quaint museum is an interesting stop. The village of Vitina
is a bit off the beaten path to the north of Ljubuski. There
is a great traditional restaurant at the source of the River
Vriostice and sitting there is a good way to beat the summer
heat. Kocusa Waterfall, a mini version of Kravica in
Veljaci, is situated just a few minutes outside of
gem of this region is the crystal-clear water of the
Trebizat River. Southeast of Ljubuski are the Kravica
Waterfalls. Stretching over 120m across and tumbling down
25m, Kravica is one of the largest waterfalls in
Herzegovina and certainly the most impressive one. The
waterfalls have a natural pool dug out at the base of the
falls by the constant rush of water. It is a favorite local
swimming hole with picnic area, café and even a place to
pitch a tent if you like. The best time of year for visiting
is springtime when the waterfall is at its fullest and the
arid landscape turns a bright green.
The area is famous for delicious figs, grapes, high quality
tobacco and cheese.
Ljubuski winery is the oldest winery in Bosnia and
Herzegovina (established in 1882) and has some of the finest
sorts of Zilavka, Blatina, Merlot, Sauvignon and Zweigelt.
More information about wineries in Herzegovina are available
Crkva uznesenja blazene djevice Marije (Church of the
Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary) in Siroki Brijeg was
built in the late-Romance style. The Monastery also hosts a
gallery with over 1,500 art works.
In the village of Mokro, Siroki Brijeg, you will find
remains of the 5th century basilica, and 2.5 km from Mokro
there is a necropolis with medieval tombstones. One of the
first references to this area was in the 10th century
(records of the Emperor Porphyrogenitos). The Kocerinska
ploca, a stone-carved slate dating back to 1404 is found
in the village of Kocerin. The slate is an epitaph to Viganj
Milosevic written in Bosnian Cyrillic Script (Bosancica).
In a beautiful natural surrounding of the Borak valley there
are several sources forming the Listica River. According to
a legend, Illyrian Queen Teuta was so impressed by the
beauty of the region, she ordered her summer residence to be
The Old Church of St. Stephen the Martyr (Stara crkva
sv. Stjepana Prvomucenika in Gorica), near Grude, was built
in 1856. This is the oldest operating church in west
Herzegovina. Surrounding area bears traces of 3rd and 9th
century church foundations. Franciscan Archaeological Collection has artefacts from
prehistoric period until the 19th century.
The source of the Tihaljina River, in the village of Pec,
Milin (Drinovci, near Grude) forms the shape of a horseshoe.
Looking above you will see the Ravlica Cave
(Kostresova Cave) where findings of human life from the
Neolithic Age were found. The cave is 95 meters long.